Saturday, June 4, 2011

JUST A REGULAR DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

My post today consists mostly of basic, but still amazingly delicious meals, which in turn inspired the title above. It also slightly reminds me of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood that I watched when I was younger (Does anyone else remember that show? In case you don't, click here. Do you remember now? If not, I will supply you with one final parting line: Mr. Rogers rocked that sweater.)

Back to food... Today's post is all about my love of tortillas!

My current favorite is: Ole Mexican Foods - Xtreme Wellness Spinach & Herbs Tortillas

Nutrition Facts:
Calories- 71
Carbohydrates- 17 grams
Fiber- 12 grams
Fat- 2 grams
Protein- 8 grams

For those of you unlearned in the nutrition facts of tortillas, let me enlighten you. The average flour tortilla has anywhere from 120 to 300 calories with an acceptable amount of fat at 3 or 4 grams, and okay! nothing too shocking or catastrophic yet, but here is where my Xtreme Wellness tortilla kicks butt. Most tortillas contain 300 or more mg of sodium (sometimes upwards of 600 mg), not to mention no protein (only 3 measley grams) and almost no fiber! So, as you can see, the day I met this lower sodium, lower carb, higher fiber, higher protein, LOW CAL tortilla, a match had been made in heaven. Plus, it is delicious and comes in spinach&herbs and a tomato type that I have been meaning to try (but who ever wants to mess with a good thing?)

In honor of these amazing tortillas, I have two simple recipes that I want to share with someone, and who better than total strangers who will not (I repeat NOT) laugh at the simplicity of my food choices and the outrageous number of photos I chose to take of said food.

So, first up is...

Regular Chicken Wrap


Ingredients:
  • 4 oz chicken, cooked (about 1 chicken breast or 2 chicken strips)
  • 1 cup bagged lettuce, spinach or other leafy greens
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion (vidalia is my preference)
  • 1 tortilla
Directions:
  1.  Lol... Just Kidding! Who needs directions to make a wrap?
  2. Well. In case you do, layer the chicken, lettuce and onion in the middle of the tortilla and roll it up any way you like. Eat whole or cut in half.


Regular Quesadilla (w/chicken)


Ingredients:
  • 4 oz cooked chicken (1 chicken breast or 2 chicken strips)
  • Homemade salsa (recipe below, or use your own)
  • 1/8 cup fat free mozzarella cheese
  • Nonstick cooking spray
Directions:
  1. Heat a skillet, griddle or quesadilla maker and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Lay tortilla on skillet and layer ingredients on one side. Fold over and cook until golden brown.
  3. Flip tortilla over and brown other side.
  4. Remove onto a plate and cut into three triangles. Eat plain or serve with salsa, cheese, sour cream, etc.

Homemade Salsa:
  • 5  grape tomatoes, diced (or regular diced tomatoes)
  • 2 Tablespoons onion, diced
  • 2 Tablespoons pepper, diced (I like the multi-colored variety packs best)

More pictures:


These wraps and quesadillas are so easy and simple, plus at about 210 calories for the wrap, and 230 calories for the quesadilla, you could even afford to eat two!

The ingredients are extremely versatile as well. For vegan options, you can use vegan cheese or meat substitutes and vegan-friendly tortillas. The wraps are also good with tuna in place of the chicken (I've had them twice this week!)

Enjoy! And have a wonderful day in YOUR neighborhood.



Up next... Simple dessert, a remix on an old favorite, and why failed attempts won't stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment