Wednesday, April 4, 2012

WIAW (When I Gave Blood)

Okay, has anyone else read this post by Taralynn over at Undressed Skeleton? It's entitled: Is Too Much Fruit a Bad Thing? If you haven't, you should.

Just in case you aren't going to read it, I'll give you a quick summary. According to Dr. Bin Kin, not all of the sugar in fruit is natural... which totally blows my whole "fruit=natural sugar=healthy" thing out of the water! "Nowadays grocery stores offer fruit that has been played with through hybridization which makes the fruit grow sweeter, larger and higher in calories." Taralynn actually did an experiment where she bought an apple from the grocery store and compared its sweetness to one bought from Whole Foods.

Guess which one was sweeter? The one from the grocery store of course!

Now, what does this mean? Well to me it means that organic fruit is less sweet, but much more natural than your regular, "store-bought" fruit. However, the fruit from the store still contains natural sugars. It's not like they could add granulated sugar to a fruit.... right?

This isn't going to change my buying habits whatsoever, but it was still interesting to read and think about.

Last night though I did have a dream about apples.... There was a women up on the stage of daytime talk show (think Dr. Oz or The Doctors). She was holding up an apple and saying how many added ingredients there were in fruit. THEN she preceded to read off the ingredients lists for the APPLE: apple (duh!), ascorbic acid (used in applesauce to preserve color, so not totally random)... then comes the weird part: Salt and sugar. That's right! I had a dream that apples now contain added salts and sugar, and were therefore not healthy to eat.

I must haven't eaten something strange before bed....

Which brings me to today's WIAW eats, with as many vegetables as I can muster (aka- sweet potato, sweet potato, carrots, sweet potato).






BREAKFAST
 Buckwheat pancakes with peanut butter. Ground turkey patty for protein.


LUNCH
Bento Box: Spaghetti Squash and Ground Turkey. Carrots with Utopia Butter. Popcorn.


DINNER
Low sodium Tuna Packet. Unsalted Pistachios. Microwave Sweet Potato.
I have this meal AT LEAST three times a week.

SNACKS

Chocolate Protein Cake (Recipe below picture)
Topping made from protein powder mixed with water. Peanut Butter.
  • 1/2 scoop protein powder (I used chocolate)
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder (I used low sodium)
  • 2 tbsp egg beaters (30 grams)
  • Water to desired thickness
Directions: Microwave for 1 minute or until done. (Undercook for a molten cake)


Chocolate Snack Cake from Spoonful of Sugar Free (made with banana puree and NO WATER)
Broiled for crispiness and topped with peanut butter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 So, tomorrow I am having a birthday party, so look for a post on that in the near future (hopefully).

Also, my stomach problems have returned in full throttle, plus some (I have gained 8 lbs in one day from bloating, etc.... NOT FUN!!)

In matter of good news, last week I finished up 14 scholarship applications, which means that I will have more time to do the things I love: AKA- bake, read, blog.


I gave blood last week... or was it two weeks ago? I don't remember the exact date, but it was the first time not doing it through NHS at my high school, as a lot of Red Cross nurses are on strike! Most of my eats are from that day, as I've been holding onto these pictures for a looonnnggg while.

Look at me with my cool red bandage! Just so you know, I STILL have a bruise :)

6 comments:

  1. That chocolate protein cake sounds yummy! I need to try it out. Yay on giving blood! I haven't given blood in a long time. I tend to see the flyers posted around my neighborhood the day after the blood drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... that sounds like what happens to me all of the time. I have these great big ideas and plans to do something and then WHAM... I hear someone talking about how FUN it was. Whoops, I guess I missed that one :S

      Delete
  2. Hey! I found your blog through WIAW and am loving all your eats! We eat so similarly. Glad I found you, haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I checked out your blog, and you're right! We do eat kinda similar.

      Delete
  3. good for you for donating blood :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to make that choc. cake!!! You are so creative. I am gluten free and I love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete