Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Another WIAW (before the HUNGER GAMES)


For the longest time I gazed idly over WIAW breakfasts of gorgeous oatmeal concoctions. Topped with sugary granola, nut butters and plump fruit galore, they seemed more fit for dessert than breakfasts. Alas, I tried my hand at creating one for myself, with a little less added sugar and calories.

Disgusting does not quite describe how terrible this first trial was. Quitting at my attempts for the time being I went back to being merely a spectator to the ever-growing oatmeal  bowls (of which chocolate seemed to be not only reoccurring but mandatory).

Then one day I stumbled upon this blogger's Tribute to Oatmeal page and all of my prayers were answer. Here is my simple adaption, low in calories and sugar-free, but quite creamy and wonderful still.

Basic Banana-Chia Oatmeal

Serves 1

Ingredients/Directions: Put 2 Tbsp old-fashioned oatmeal, 1 tsp chia seeds and 1/2 cup of water/almond milk in a small pan over medium heat. Heat until boiling then add 1 Tbsp chopped banana. Let simmer and then whip in the banana until melted and smooth. (Add more liquid and adjust heat as necessary)

My favorite topping combination to date:
  • Stir 1/2 tsp cinnamon into oatmeal.
  • Top with utopia nut butter (recipe to come soon!), more cinnamon, and frozen raspberries.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Now onto the other stuff that I have been munching on!


LUNCH
Chili Salad with pistachios and carrots.

SNACK
Apple peels topped with utopia nut butter


DINNER
Light General Tso's Chicken. Recipe adapted from HERE. I used date puree in place of the brown sugar, less oil, and I used powdered spices instead of fresh. It was delicious!
Served with peas, water chestnuts and red peppers.

SNACK
Pistachios... Green, right?

-------------------------------------------------------
I would have put more recipes and more pictures up, but this is not my computer and I have had zero-opportunity to blog. Hopefully that will change soon!

In the meantime, questions:

Do you prefer recipes to have nutrition facts?

ARE YOU EXCITED ABOUT THE HUNGER GAMES MIDNIGHT PREMIERE? I am.



What would you bring with you into the HUNGER GAMES? If you could only bring one thing, like Katniss's mockingjay pin...

No comments:

Post a Comment