Saturday, March 31, 2012

HOMEMADE MICROWAVE BREAD (Gluten Free)

Thanks to everyone who continues to read my blog even though my posts have been boring, mostly WIAW-themed, and at best sporadic. I am going to try and change that though. And hopefully tomorrow I will have a new cake recipe for y'all because it's my BIRTHDAY! Yes, yes, I'm an April Fool's Baby.

Anyways, before I get started on this post, check out my last post if you haven't already, for a fabulous tasting nut butter that I dubbed Cinnamon Utopia Butter.

Utopia after all is a perfect society, and this nut butter is pretty close to perfect....
P.S. I also have some questions at the end of the post that I would love to be answered. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love making food in the microwave! No, I'm not in college yet, but I will be soon, and I figured that the more microwave-recipes I had in my repertoire the better. My first recipe that I posted on here was called Strawberry Microwave Bake. Then I posted my Chocolate Microwave Bake. Both were successful, and everyone loved them because they are so easy and quick to make!

I personally love making things in the microwave because it cuts down on the waiting time, and I am not a patient person, especially when it comes to something sugary, delicious, and BAKED... Like this:


OR THIS:


For my next microwave recipe I decided to do something a little more useful for a college student. Like, what happens if one morning you wake up, and are out of bread? The nearest grocery store is 15 minutes away, the bread in the on-site grocery store is WAYYY too expensive, and it just so happens that you have to be in class like... NOW!

Enter this tasty, quick bread that you can make in the microwave. Including preparation and cooking time, you can have this bread ready to eat, slathered with your favorite nut butter in less than 5 minutes!

Homemade Microwave Bread

Adapted from my Buckwheat Waffles/Pancakes Recipe

Gluten-Free, Low in Calories, Low Fat, Vegetarian, High-Fiber, High-Protein, Sugar-Free

Calories: 85, Carbs: 15g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 0g, Fat: 2g, Protein: 6g

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp buckwheat flour*
  • 2 tsp coconut flour
  • 1/8-1/4 tsp baking powder (I used sodium-free)
  • 2 Tbsp egg beaters
  • 1/4 cup water
  • pinch of salt (optional, but I omitted)

Directions:
  1. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.
  2. Add wet ingredients all at once and stir. Let set for at least two minutes.
  3. Transfer the batter to the container (with desired shape). The area should be about 10-12 inches.**
  4. Cover and cook on high in the microwave for one minute.
  5. Remove and slice in half immediately. Toast if desired.

*Another gluten-free flour, or regular all-purpose flour should work too.
** Use a smaller or bigger container as desired to make a thicker or thinner piece of bread.


Here's the bread that I made for breakfast today, toasted and topped with 3/4 tbsp of peanut butter along with a 3oz lean ground turkey patty:



Other uses for this bread:
  • Homemade pizza
  • Breakfast sandwiches
  • PB&J's
  • Sandwiches for other meals of the day
  • French Toast (make the bread thicker if you are going to make this)
You could even add different spices to make this bread taste completely different! Cinnamon or pumpkin spice for a breakfast bread. Garlic powder, onion powder or Italian seasoning for the homemade pizza.... the possibilities are endless!

Did I mention that I play the clarinet? This reed case snuck in just for kicks...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in more recipes like this?

I also adapted my buckwheat waffles/pancake recipe to make:


Buckwheat Quesadillas! Find my alterations here in a WIAW post.


And... the original recipe that started it all:

Waffles

Pancakes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys like recipes made in the microwave? I think they are so easy, convenient and FUN to make! I love my microwave...

Any requests for what microwave recipe I should create next? The sky is the limit.

14 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have an amazing and super special day! <3

    The homemade microwave bread looks awesome! I love quick and simple recipes lik this, so thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love quick recipes too. When it comes to baking, cooking or eating, I have absolutely no patience!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great idea!!! I'm a fan of both sweet and savory mug-cakes. Microwave bread is brilliant. I'll give this a try once I have the proper flours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks of giving step by step method of Homemade Microwave Bread recipe and really easy to make at home. I found variety recipes that is Microwave recipes are very tasty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your buckwheat pancake/waffle recipe adaptable to egg substitutes, I am finding it hard to find a microwave recipe that will work using no eggs, no wheat flours.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is an egg-free buckwheat pancake recipe from one of my favorite blogs: http://chockohlawtay.blogspot.com/2012/10/buckwheat-pancakes.html

      This is actually my old blog, but if you go to my new blog @ eating4balance.wordpress.com I have some allergy-free microwave recipes. I'm still working on a sandwich bread though.

      Delete
  5. This looks super easy, and I hope delicious too, I also have a son with egg and wheat, cranberries and sesame seed allergies.
    I am desperate for a microwave bread recipe so he will not feel left out at dinner time when we have hamburgers, hotdogs etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try replacing the egg beaters with a chia egg or even tofu, but I can't guarantee the results.

      This is my old blog, but my new blog is free of egg and wheat. I have some recipes for microwave pumpkin and/or banana bread. For a sandwich-type bread I would mix some pumpkin puree, gf flour, baking powder, salt, water, etc. and microwave in a shallow bowl. Then slice in half to use for a sandwich. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. BTW. My new blog is eating4balance@wordpress.com

      Delete
  6. Hiya ! That's exactly what i needed. I have tried to find such a recipe in my own language but i couldn't find anything in french nor german...America is so much advanced in the study of celiac disease.People are also way more familiar with gluten-free creativity combined with micro-wave cooking :) Kiss from Europe !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this helped you! If you need any other celiac-friendly recipes, check out my new blog: http://eating4balance.wordpress.com

      I've since found out that I'm allergic to wheat, etc. Oh, and peanuts, which is why peanut-butter-lover no longer works for me :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, sorry to hear that :( I know the feeling. Say goodbye to the things you love to eat the most. Heartbreaking but well, life goes on anyway. Can you imagine what it is for a french girl to not be able to eat baguette or french pastries anymore :P...oh my...I also had to say goodbye to my favourite meal ever : oriental couscous...my first three words were mummy, daddy, and couscous you know...I stop my whinning now :P I ll visit your other blog, thank you again ! See ya;)

      Delete
  7. Tried your recipe this morning and am surprise to find it's tastier than store bought GF breads! I added a pinch of cinnamon and some vanilla paste. I don't like the idea of microwaving my foods and am wondering if this recipe would steam well. I don't own and oven or a breadmaker.

    ReplyDelete