Monday, January 2, 2012

SUGAR FREE TREATS

Thanks so much for everyone's kind words on my New Years post and my first WIAW post.

Now on to today's post...

Okay, here is what I have been having for breakfast the past few days:


Yes, while my brother ate his cereal, I had to eat my Chocolate Pancakes, and while my parents ate bacon and toast, I had to eat apple pie... Wait, what? Who wouldn't want chocolate and apple pie for breakfast, and why would I need to be Forced to eat them?

Well, because, I am on a sugar-free diet.

Say what?

That's right, for the past two days I have been completely white sugar, brown sugar, honey, agave, stevia, splenda, aspartame... free! Thanks in part to Alex over at her sugar free blog and her awesome New Years Sugar Free Challenge in the month of January.

So, looking back to my breakfasts above, you probably think that I have been cheating. WRONG!

My pancakes and oatmeal were delicous and sweet, but entirely sugar free. Now, fruit does not count as sugar in this challenge, because fruit sugars are so much healthier than processed sugar. So, fruit it is then:

Sugar-Free Chocolate Pancakes

Adapted from Spoonful of Sugar Free


Ingredients:
  • 4 Tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp low sodium baking powder
  • 2 Tbsp egg beaters
  • 3 Tbsp mashed banana
  • Unsweetened almond milk 
Directions:
  1. Heat an electric griddle or pan on the stove to medium heat (350 degrees).
  2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and add almond milk until reaching desired consistency.
  3. Spray your griddle if it is nonstick. Then, using a spoon scoop the pancake batter onto the griddle in 3 globs. Using the back of your spoon spread out he batter until the pancakes are 3 to 4 inches wide.
  4. Cook as normal, waiting until the tops of the pancakes get that smooth look and become partially cooked.

Top with natural, sugar-free peanut butter or 100% chocolate chips and enjoy!
(If you aren't on the challenge, you can add chocolate chips and top the pancakes with syrup.)


Apple Pie Oatmeal


Make overnight oats-
3 Tbsp regular oats + 1/2 cup water
Cook in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, but don't let all of the water get absorbed.
Place in the fridge to sit overnight uncovered.

The next morning-
Place oats in the microwave to heat up for 30 seconds. Chop half an apple into a bowl, add oats, 2 Tbsp sliced almonds and then top with cinnamon and almond milk.


Sugar-Free Peanut Butter Banana Blondies

Adapted from The Detoxinista

Makes 8 blondies, 59 calories each (w/o chocolate chips)



Ingredients:
  • 4 dates (30 grams)
  • 1/2 banana, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp egg beaters
  • Splash of vanilla extract
  • 3 Tbsp creamy, natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • Dash of salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Place the dates and banana in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave at half power for 2 minutes (this replaces soaking the dates in water, this step is optional).
  3. Remove the dates from the bowl and place in small food processor. Blend until chopped up. Add the egg beaters and blend for 1 minute or until reaching an even consistency. Add the banana and vanilla blend. Add the peanut butter, baking soda and salt and blend until mixed.
  4. Spray an 8x5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the batter evenly in pan. 
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
  6. Let cool before cutting and serving.
The left half with chocolate chips was for my mom and dad.
 *For a more decadent treat, you can add chocolate chips and/or nuts.

These are so quick and easy to make. I made adapted and made one batch in about 30 minutes. They were too thin and not very flavorful though. In another 30 minutes I made the recipe tastier, lower in calories and they were ready to eat!

And... No one could tell that they were sugar or flour free.

Tomorrow is WIAW, so please check back for more healthy meal ideas and inspiration, all sugar-free of course!

_________________________________________________________________________

Are you participating in Alex's Sugar Free Challenge or any other New Years groups?


Do you have any healthy and tasty sugar-free recipes for me to try? I've gone sugar-free a few times before and don't eat much processed sugar to begin with, so I have tons of things to eat. I'm always open to new ideas though!


How many times does it take for you to get a recipe right? This recipe took two trials to perfect. Sometimes it takes more, and sometimes less however. I never make a recipe exactly as given though, it's just a habit!

3 comments:

  1. Okay I'm currently drooling like crazy for those blondies and those oats! I think I'm gonna make some of the oats tonight for dinner! :)
    Best of luck with the sugar free challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alexandra- Thanks, I hope you enjoy the oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Sugar Free Peanut Butter Banana Blondies look SO good! :)

    Ha-ha, I can't even count how many times it takes to get a recipe right sometimes. Some are first try, but others take a little longer -- but it's always worth it when you get it right! :)

    ReplyDelete